Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Birthday to my first little boy...

(photo courtesy of your sister Tara) This post is in honor of my first born. A boy, I knew it from the start. I was planning on having a baby, and I knew with a self pregnancy test at 5 weeks that I was expecting. Confirmed of course by my doctor. I was living in a house in Shawnee at the time. We were renting it to purchase. I was working in an insurance agency. Soon we were off to California, Monterey that is, swimming pools and movie stars! Ocean views to grow my baby, my dream. I stopped working and became a homemaker, crocheting blue and yellow baby wraps, painting rooms blue, etc. Did the ultrasound show it was a boy, you ask? No, I had no ultrasound, but I knew...all of the moms made fun of me, thought I would be disappointed, but I knew I was carrying a boy. He made me happy, knowing he was there so close all of the time, he made me sick by kicking so hard I thought I would never keep any food down. He was always on time, waking me up early and demanding food.... AND HE WASN'T EVEN BORN YET!!! I knew that kind of determination coupled with the love I felt, could only be from a little boy. When he was born, WOW, he was not what I expected. He came out chubby, round and happy! I was so glad. However, that changed quickly, when his impatience with my nursing ineptitude ended in bouts of biting (just with gums) and crying (from both of us). Quickly I changed him to formula. Soy formula wasn't popular then, so I am certain it was milk based and he was the colic-iest baby on the west coast! Scream..wow could he scream. The only thing that calmed him was to have his head rubbed. Strange, I wonder if that still works today? We had fun though, walking alot and playing in the sand. Soon we were to leave this paradise for Texas... Where he would then be joined by my first girl....but that is another story. Watching my Jeremy grow up was amazing. After the colic bouts, a butterfly was hatched. The most happy and lovingiest baby! He looked so cute in the little boy clothes and was always glad to meet new people. He was kind, outgoing and considerate. In a small town in Texas he had not been exposed to much diversity until one Christmas when he met a different Santa. He came bounding off of Santa's lap proclaiming, ´Mommy, Mommy, Choclite Santy´. As you can guess he had met his first black Santa Claus. The whole store laughed and he received a hand full of candy canes from Santa himself as he was now a celebrity with the kids. As he grew... through out Kindergarten to Sixth Grade, he was my listener. Always curious about why things were and how things worked, not particularly physical things, but more philosophical things. He was a great listener as I freely gave him my view of the world. Finally a man (OK a boy that thought like a man) that would listen to what I thought was important in life. Why people do the things they do, what makes for the best choices, what is good to achieve, how one should feel about themselves, how to treat others, how to love yourself, what is respect and most importantly what is responsibility. He listened, he questioned, he challenged... and he grew to have his own thoughts, his own view which we debated and it thoroughly energized me. He was my rock when I needed it... Through junior high and high school, there were ups and downs. Every boy goes through it. Every boy finds their way. Jeremy met a lovely girl in high school who swept him off his feet. The soft side, my lovely sweet boy came back and was as vulnerable as a baby. Fortunately for him, she fell for him too... While you know the history (graduations, marriage, etc), you might not know how I cried every time...so proud, so happy and feeling so much love for the little boy that was my first best friend in the world. Now as he gets one year older, I cry, as I am not there to give him a birthday hug and a kiss and tell him how much he means to me. From the alps in Switzerland, Jeremy, I send you all of my love and want you to have the best birthday ever. Please remember that my thoughts and dreams are always with you. Love forever, your Mom... HAPPY BIRTHDAY OCT 2!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

This is probably the sweetest thing I've ever read! Thank you, it made me cry! You did a great job raising your first little boy!

Jeremy said...

Mom - thank you for this.

I read this while I was working today and for a moment it made me feel like a small boy who needs his mommy. It was a good feeling. I still need my mommy. I love you and miss you very much.

Thank you.

"Spite" said...

Beautiful, Teri!